Brooklyn Handcrafted Kimono Wrap - Genderless in Dirty Blue (Midi)
This product is currently sold out.
You're investing in
An exquisitely frayed kimono wrap, giving you that appealing grunge look.
We know your friends will be asking so get ready to tell the handcrafting story below.
Interchangeable for all - onsize, oversize, undersize. Genderless to us means turning simple clothing into works of your own individual art.
100% Handloom Woven Cotton: With the loose weaving of handlooms, this fabric is so breathable that it keeps you cool in summers and warm in winters. Medium weight but soft and absorbent. Woven with intentional distressed pattern throughout.
100% Plant Dyed: Yarn was pre-dyed in indigo from strobilanthes cusia leaf.
A Love Story of Giving
We refuse to give up on this tradition because the weavers weave magic as they keep the flame of this dying art alive. It takes about two hours for a one-meter strip to be created; to put it into perspective, the average kimono requires almost three strips. Handloom weaving requires a lot from a weaver especially physical strength and a combo of engineering skills and creativity. Weaving by hand is the interlacing of two sets of yarn - the warp (length) and the weft (width) using a loom - a wooden equipment that facilitates the interlacing without the use of electricity. Weavers inherit the skill from their forefathers and in turn pass it on to their children so weaving can sustain their livelihood. Plant dyeing the yarns made this fabric even better. Thank goodness plants dyes are healthy for the artisans to work with. Good for the health: Safer than synthetic dyes as they don't contain chemicals harmful to health. Good for the ecosystem: As plants can be regrown, they’re a renewable, low-cost source. Good for the heart: Plant dyeing is therapeutic; gives you permission to be anti-perfect so you can have more room for artistry.
- Designed to be your edgier and healthier alternative to transseasonal indoor-outdoor layering, with fabric produced on wooden looms in the same time-honored way for centuries
- Made for longevity so you can wear it a lot or share
- Featuring: Unique distressed weaving. Midi length. Frayed hoodie. Frayed edges. Kimono 3/4 sleeves. Front button fastening and rolled tab sleeves with mother of pearl buttons. Attached belt on the back gives a shapely effect. Underarm split. Clean french seams throughout. Of course two side pockets.
- Size: One size for women and men. Chest: 52in * 134cm. Length: 39in * 100cm. Model Summer is 5'6" * 170 cm.
- Care for long-lasting plant-dyed handloom woven cotton: Cold hand wash or machine wash with like colors. Use eco-friendly or gentle detergent. Air dry in the shade or tumble dry low. Dry clean not recommended because natural dyes react to heavy synthetic chemicals. Plant dyed colors will fade if left in the sun for a long time and washed in hot water. Naturally-faded plant dyes can also translate the anti-perfection stance in your wardrobe. Mend when torn.
You become a donor
Every purchase supports a cause as we share 50% of our net proceeds to the community. Together we help underprivileged children get the quality education they deserve at the eco-school we support in Bali. Learn more about our school mission in the blog.
Handloom woven in Java. Cut, sewn the traditional way in a home-based family workshop in Bali that shares our values for environmental and social responsibility. Learn more about how artisanal techniques work in our blog.
Aligning with UN SDG Goals
We take pride in contributing to at least six of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Goal 4: Quality Education; Goal 5: Gender Equality; Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth; Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production; Goal 14: Life Below Water; and Goal 15: Life on Land.