We Help You Stay Beautiful Inside and Out.
Welcome to Love Stories Bali!
We gift 50% of our profit from your purchase to help send underprivileged children to an eco-school in Bali. Thank you for being a donor. And thank you for being a part of our love stories.
We are a sustainable fashion brand that's helping change lives. We handcraft eco-conscious clothing with one-of-a-kind and versatile designs. Working with self-taught local artisans, our clothes are made in small runs as limited editions. We amplify the heritage craftsmanship and help preserve artistic traditions.
We design to spark love for beautiful but mindful consumption.
- Stylish, versatile, timeless basics
- Adventurous design but celebrating traditional handcrafting
- Easy to wear
- Most sizes inclusive
- Made to last so with proper care, you can wear them longer, restyle, repurpose, swap with friends, or pass them on.
- We produce with minimum waste and good health in mind - healthy for the body, our artisans, our planet. We feel responsible in mindfully selecting the products we put out into the world because every part of what we do, even the littlest things, have an impact on people and the planet.
- We select responsibly-produced fabrics (silk, organic cotton, hemp/cotton, and tencel); natural mother of pearl buttons not plastic; and cotton threads not polyester.
- We produce in small batches to avoid overstock and waste.
- We upcycle our fabric scraps as beautiful robes and dresses to increase their lifespan.
- Our natural cotton packaging bag is reusable.
We resist the mantra of speed so we can celebrate artisanal and heritage handcrafting. We love how our contemporary designs are made with ancient or traditional techniques that involve many humans hands and can take a long, artistic process. By engaging village artisans, we hope we can spark new love in heritage crafts, and elevate the livelihoods of artisanal communities in Indonesia.
- Painting purely by hand for our silk and cotton batik collections. Our artisans use the ancient Indonesian "batik" technique to create luxurious wearable art while preserving artistic traditions. Each batik-painted piece requires a 7-Step process, and can take 3-5 days, or more, to make. UNESCO listed Indonesian batik as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity to safeguard this extraordinary technique and promote cultural diversity in the face of growing globalization. Read more about batik making below.
- Hand coloring for our fabrics where artisans use eco-dyes or plant-dyes, not toxic chemicals, to avoid health and environmental hazards.
- Partnering with responsible workshops in Bali who share our values for social, environmental and ethical responsibilities.
Our Story: Born 2017
Our story started with love for community and has evolved into women helping women. Many strong and skilled women are offering help along the way, as our fundraisers, pajama party hostess, models, influencers, and volunteers at the schools. So we name our pieces after these empowered women. It has been life-changing - women empowering each other to flourish and help others.
Tess: Our Purpose
Fashion can change lives. That's why Tess, from New York, co-founded Love Stories Bali and is the sustainable designer for the brand. Tess grew up in the global corporate world and found her love for fashion entrepreneurship by accident.
In 2016, she went to Indonesia to dedicate one year for community service. While in Bali, she met two empowered Balinese women who transformed her life forever: Agnes, who founded an eco-school to help in the early education of underprivileged Balinese children. Ratna, who founded a garment workshop where sustainable and responsible practices are a way of life. Inspired by their passion, Tess set out her 'one year community service' to help Agnes and Ratna. In the spirit of sisterhood, they put their dreams together for a joint school mission: Expand the eco-school to increase opportunities for more Balinese children to get educated.
In 2017, Tess and Ratna co-founded Love Stories Bali as an online shop and as a physical eco-shop in Ubud, Bali, offering and promoting stylish but sustainable basics, and then using the profits to support the school mission. The eco-shop welcomes creatives and entrepreneurs to sell their sustainable products. Together we form a community of fashion revolutionaries in Bali, who unite for fashion for good. What began as Tess’ one year community endeavor has flourished into her life’s purpose.
Agnes: Our School Mission
The world needs more Agnes. That's why we are supporting the growth of her school, PAUD Cemara Kasih, in West Bali. Agnes is a remarkable education revolutionary with a mission: to help children from families in extreme poverty, and children with special needs, to get access to quality early education. She creates and models 'life skills curriculum' to promote sustainable development. She trains fellow teachers to reuse her eco-curriculum. Agnes founded the school in 2010, and built the first classroom with the money she made from making and selling custom jewelry.
In 2018, we helped Agnes expand the school and build an organic farm to increase opportunities for more children to get educated and continue the greening of the school. In November 2018, Agnes was chosen by the national government of Indonesia as 1 of 12 Changemakers of Indonesia for her innovative early education. Today and tomorrow, we're raising funds to help Agnes build an eco primary school.
Ratna: Who Makes Our Clothes
Sustainable production practices are a way of life at Mata Dewi, Ratna's workshop in Bali. That's why we love making our collections with her small team of artisans. Their quality workmanship is done entirely by hand from batik hand painting to hand coloring, cutting, and sewing. Most of Ratna's artisans have worked with her for over 15 years, are paid above local wages, and do not work overtime. We visit them frequently and engage with the artisans to ensure work quality and have fun.