Brooklyn Handcrafted Hooded Romper - Dirty Purple
This product is currently sold out.
You're investing in
An exquisitely frayed romper with distressed denim vibe and groovy hoodie for that sensual grunge look. That purple is ready to dethrone any color around you.
We know your friends will be asking so get ready to tell the handcrafting story below.
100% Handloom Woven Cotton: With the loose weaving of handlooms, this fabric is so breathable that it keeps you cool in summers and warm in winters. Medium weight but soft and absorbent. Woven with intentional distressed pattern throughout.
100% Plant Dyed: Yarn was pre-dyed in indigo from strobilanthes cusia leaf and reds from sappan wood.
A Love Story of Giving
The weavers weave magic as they keep the flame of this dying art alive. It takes about two hours for a one-meter strip to be created; to put it into perspective, the average romper requires almost three strips. Handloom weaving requires a lot from a weaver especially physical strength and a combo of engineering skills and creativity. Weaving by hand is the interlacing of two sets of yarn - the warp (length) and the weft (width) using a loom - a wooden equipment that facilitates the interlacing without the use of electricity. Weavers inherit the skill from their forefathers and in turn pass it on to their children so weaving can sustain their livelihood. Plant dyeing the yarns made this fabric even better. Thank goodness plants dyes are healthy for the artisans to work with. Good for the health: Safer than synthetic dyes as they don't contain chemicals harmful to health. Good for the ecosystem: As plants can be regrown, they’re a renewable, low-cost source. Good for the heart: Plant dyeing is therapeutic; gives you permission to be anti-perfect so you can have more room for artistry.
- Designed to be your edgier and healthier alternative to all-in-one, with fabric produced on wooden looms in the same time-honored way for centuries
- Made for longevity so you can wear it a lot - with easy updates by simply adding the cord belt, or your favorite belt, or a second-skin sleeved layer
- Featuring: Modern distressed pattern. Full length. Frayed hoodie. Frayed edges. Two-meter cord belt in self-fabric with handmade cotton tassel. Sleeveless. Front button fastening and rolled tab sleeves with mother of pearl buttons. Clean french seams throughout. Of course two side pockets
- Size: Fits XS-M. Chest: 39in * 100cm. Length: 53in * 135cm. Wide legs: 16in * 40cm. Model Gita is 5'6" * 170 cm.
- Care for long-lasting plant-dyed handloom woven cotton: Cold hand wash or machine wash with like colors. Use eco-friendly or gentle detergent. Air dry in the shade or tumble dry low. Dry clean not recommended because natural dyes react to heavy synthetic chemicals. Plant dyed colors will fade if left in the sun for a long time and washed in hot water. Naturally-faded plant dyes can also translate the anti-perfection stance in your wardrobe. Mend when torn.
You become a donor
Every purchase supports a cause as we share 50% of our net proceeds to the community. Together we help underprivileged children get the quality education they deserve at the eco-school we support in Bali. Learn more about our school mission in the blog.
Handloom woven in Java. Cut, sewn the traditional way in a home-based family workshop in Bali that shares our values for environmental and social responsibility. Learn more about how artisanal techniques work in our blog.
Aligning with UN SDG Goals
We take pride in contributing to at least six of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Goal 4: Quality Education; Goal 5: Gender Equality; Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth; Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production; Goal 14: Life Below Water; and Goal 15: Life on Land.